The Punakha Dzong is built between two rivers- Mochu & Pochu. It was built in the 17 th century by Shabdrung Nawang Namgyal and served as the capital of Bhutan until 1955. It is still the winter residence of the Monk Body and its Chief Abbot. The Dzong was restored in 1998. It houses sacred artefacts and the embalmed body of Shabdrung Nawang Namgyal. The main hall of worship is beautifully restored with great statues of Sakya Muni Buddha, Guru Padmasambhava, Shabdrung Nawang Namgyal, Avalokiteshwara and numerous figures and wall paintings depicting the life story of the Buddha and the many manifestations of the Guru.